There was a time when I believed social media was simply a window into people's lives. The longer I spent on Instagram, the more I realized it is often a stage instead. The algorithm rewards attention, and attention is frequently captured through glamour, carefully crafted poses, polished lifestyles, and sometimes intentionally seductive expressions. After a while, the feed begins to feel less like a reflection of society and more like a reflection of what keeps people watching.
My own experience has been more nuanced than that. Along the way, I met a few people through other platforms who eventually connected with me on Instagram. Some became thoughtful friends, proving that meaningful conversations can still emerge from digital spaces. At the same time, I noticed that many accounts with massive followings seemed to rely heavily on visual appeal, suggestive aesthetics, and engagement-driven content. That does not define the people behind those accounts, but it does reveal how today's attention economy often rewards appearance over authenticity.
This journey has made me less interested in judging individuals and more curious about the systems shaping our online behavior. Algorithms do not create human desires, but they amplify what captures attention. As creators adapt to those incentives, audiences slowly begin to mistake what is highly visible for what is most common. The result is a digital world where visibility and reality are not always the same.
Perhaps the real challenge is not to escape social media, but to use it consciously. To look beyond follower counts, beyond perfectly edited reels, and beyond the endless chase for engagement. If this is the beginning of my journey, I hope it leads me toward discovering people, ideas, and conversations that are remembered not because they demanded attention, but because they genuinely deserved it.
Comments
Post a Comment